Friday, December 14, 2012

Non-art Productivity

A few nights ago I decided to try and make something from the fabrics I had left. You guys probably don't know but I'm a little obssessed with bags. And bag-making. I posted before a list of some sewing tutorials/patterns for bags earlier and once I start to get up and buy more fabric, I hope to make some of those these holidays. I also plan on making one for my sister. I might even be able to finish it before Xmas and pass it off as a Xmas present.

Anyways so I wanted something simple-ish so I looked through my bookmarks and I decided on the April Bag. It was pretty simple to make or maybe it's because I'm used to the turned and topstitch technique from making your graduation present thingies. I liked that I didn't need to print anything out. I was very lazy so I just used the running stitch throughout. I don't think I'd actually use this bag though, it was like a practice/prototype until I get nicer fabric so I can make a bigger bag.I made some weird pockets inside; one's for...err receipts you want to keep I guess, the next one is for sunglasses unless you have the huge kind which probably won't fit and the last pocket is for a pen--or pencil. Took 3-5 hours, I guess. But remember, this is handsewing so of course it's slow.




A couple of weeks ago my sister bought a mix for macarons/macrons/macaroons but we didn;t get to make it until Tuesday. My sister had always seen her friend's mum put macaroons in her daughter's lunch box and tells me she made it herself. I don't know if my sis tried one of those macaroons or whatever but she was interested in making them. They did not tell out as they should have. They were weirdddd. Once they were cooked, they stuck to the baking paper so it was really hard ripping it off. And they were soft and squishy so if you tried removing it, the whole thing came apart. While my sister chose to oh so delicate try to lift them off by wedging a spoon/fork/teaspoon under it and gently forcing it out, I chose to rip off what I could--in pieces. And since they were still soft (I guess I should have kept them in the oven longer but the recipe did say 12-14 min and we did 15-18 min) I would several ripped pieces then roll it into a ball and flatten it into a cookie-esque shape. See the results below. Mind, on the second batch everything looks fine cause we didnt take it off the tray yet

Also, we made this chocolatey thing that you're mean to like sandwich between two cookies so its cookie chocolate cookie. but the chocolate was like playdoh and it was relatively soft and not sticky so we used it to decorate the tops and didnt bother with the sandwiching bit so in the end, they were treated as normal cookies, not macaroons.

By the way, the star on the cookie in the bottom left of the first picture--I did that ~
.




No comments:

Post a Comment