Tuesday, November 27, 2012

CRAFTY CRAP

Okay, a fortnight ago I looked at an old school photo (primary school class photo, I was ripping these empty memories off the wall and clearing it for future things--probably assessment notifications) and I was wearing a head/hairband. I know this one wasn't bought from the stores, it was made by my aunt. Several years ago she had a few of them (more than two, less than 10 but I don't know exactly) and she left one at out house when she returned home so I just wore it when I felt like it. It was made of a really stretchy fabric.

So I started to feel like I wanted to make my own headband and I looked up some tutorials and things. However a lot of tutorials meant you decorate that plastic headband thing but what I wanted was a fabric headband--my aunt's was a strip of fabric in a circle shape to go around your head (duh).

Anyways most of the tutorials I wanted said you need stretchy fabric. I guess you guys don't know this but I have FOUR fabrics. You might recognise them in your graduation/goodbye presents.

The first one I got, I got it earlier this year to make satin flowers (remember?)
Here's my favourite satin flower.
 I won't post a picture of the satin, not bothered looking for it. It's my first fabric, but there's still a lot of bits left.

   (Ahem. This was in the beginning of the year when I planned to go formal and have a cheap formal as possible. I planned to have my hair kind of wavy (I even looked up tutorials on how to do this with mousse) and even though I wanted a bit of my fringe to show, I didn't want it blocking my whole face so I planned to pin my hair back with a bunch of flower clips--so I looked online and eventually decided to make these.)

----
These are the ones I used for your presents, I bought the polka dot one earlier in the year but the butterfly and pink one were bought especially for the occasion. I actually thought I could find something nicer though...
I'm not sure what kind of fabric these are, I'll just guess cotton.
 
With the Polka Dot, I used it for experimenting, trying to make a wristlet, again for formal. Usually I like large bags (water) but I wanted something small for this special occasion (nevah meant to be). Since you're meant to wear this on your wrist, it's less likely I could lose it and I guess all I needed was money (travel) and phone (duh).With this fabric, I was really stupid so instead of cutting from one end to another, I cut everywhere so a lot of it is dangling around and its hard to cut a piece from one area alone.
The pink fabric I used for the inside of the things I gave you guys, which is called the lining or lining fabric, usually plain and a solid colour. I used this for the inside of the bags so this fabric is nearly or over half gone.
I like the butterfly fabric even if it is kiddy lol. There's still a lot of this one left. All these fabrics started out as 1m (im too cheap to get any more)
----------------------

So I don't have any stretchy fabrics and I want to use these up as much as I can before buying new fabrics.

Some of these tutorials suggested getting stretchy fabric from your shirt/clothes, but none of my clothese seem at all stretchy. Anyways, I found a headband tutorial that solved my dilemma for the most part http://www.annkelle.com/diy-10-minute-headband/, it's super simple; a strip of fabric with a rubber band at the end to make it stretchy. The one I made...I'm not as fond of it as I was with my aunt's one. It's a little umcomfortable and if I were to make this again, I would have made it wider, it's too thin.




Not the nicest looking one out there, but super simple. Still, I would really love to make prettier ones,
http://thecraftiestofwomen.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/hey-there-crafty-woman-peeps-leslie.html
http://homestitched.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/ruffled-headband.html

If you'd like to look, look here http://tipnut.com/headband-patterns/
and here for things to stick on a headband http://tipnut.com/fabric-flowers/

In the future I'd also like to try one of two of these http://tipnut.com/belts-crafts/




No comments:

Post a Comment